[Sca-cooks] was:tax now:Christmas food

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 31 14:33:54 PDT 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Dragon asked:
>
> <<< The thing is, there has been an electronic filing option for a number
> of years now and I really don't understand why more people don't use
> it. >>>
>
> Because some of us are cheap. The programs to do the calculations cost
> from between $20 to $70 each year. And unless you make under a certain
> amount, the electronic filing costs you extra money.

The program is free here :)  & doesn't cost anything to submit (it's 50c
cheaper I guess...no stamp). But only available for Windows :(
Which is probably more than anybody ever wanted to know about the
Australian tax system, so I'll shut up now.

My office is having a "Christmas in August"* next week - basic food is
laid on but we're being encouraged to bring additional dishes that will
add to the Christmas "feel". Any suggestions? Needs to be not too
expensive and easy to transport.
My main contribution to the festivities is going to be a song about the
departmental budget cuts to the tune of "The Twelve Days of Christmas",
but I'd like to bring at least some token food as well.

Margaret/Emma

*I don't know if everyone here will have encountered the idea of
"Christmas in July"**, which is becoming increasingly common here.
On/around the 25th July, you have a party based around a big traditional
Christmas dinner...at a time of year when it's actually pleasant to eat
this sort of food. As opposed to 25th December, when the last thing you
want is to be cooking hot food.

**ours is in August because we're disorganised