[Sca-cooks] Subject: Weird food

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 14:30:21 PDT 2008

I used to be fond of crunchy peanut butter, pickle relish, grated
cheddar, bacon bits, lettuce, and a little mayo on whole wheat bread.

Peanut butter, or at least ground peanuts, are used in many savory
dishes in Africa (cooked with chicken or red meat) and Asia (China
(or maybe as a substitute in the US for sesame butter), Thailand and
Indonesia in satay sauce, and in Indonesia mixed with ground hot
chilis and brown sugar and tossed with cubed or grated fruit as an
afternoon snack called rujak).

And because i used to cook a lot of Southeast Asian food, i tend to
think of peanut butter as something that goes in savory dishes.

I don't know anyone else who eats this complete blend, although i
have since learned that Elvis (whose career i did not follow,
although i saw him on national TV, including his very first
appearance, as a child) liked peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.

Then again, once when i was really broke and had to eat what was
already in the house, i made sandwiches of black sesame butter and
bottled mincemeat on very dark "Russian" rye sandwich bread (not the
genuine thin and firm stuff). Alas, i can no longer find black sesame
butter :-(  but i can find black sesame seeds. I actually liked it,
but not having to eat it every day until one of the ingredients ran
out...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita