[Sca-cooks] Cookbooks for Beginners

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 08:19:22 PDT 2008

Is there any particular area (as in geographic) that interests you?
That might have an influence on what people recommend.

If you have an interest in English cookery, I second Kiri's
suggestion, although I do not know if you can get that with a B&N gift
card. For items from France & Italy, The Medieval Kitchen by Sabban &
Serventi is an excellent place to start. Also in the France/Italy +
Spain area is The original Mediterranean Cuisine by Barbara Santitch.

I do not have a copy of, and therefore cannot vouch completely for,
Pleyn Delit - but it is usually suggested for beginners. And as far as
something to avoid - Fabulous Feasts should be put on the Do Not Buy
list.

All of these books will allow you to jump right in because they are
laid out in a similar manner to modern cookbooks. If you continue your
interest with Historical Cookery there is a vast wealth of books to be
read, some of which contain no recipes whatsoever.

I am sure others will jump in with their thoughts. I hope that this
has been helpful.

--
Serena da Riva