[Sca-cooks] Fabulous Feasts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 20:14:35 PDT 2008

Doc mentioned:
<<<
> Are there any
> cookbooks that beginners should definitely avoid?

I'm sure that many here will speak up about "Fabulous
Feasts" - suffice it to say it's pretty much worthless
in terms of doing research and re-creating.>>>

I, and I believe others, will disagree with Doc's comments that this
book is "pretty much worthless in terms of doing research and re-
creating".

While I probably would not recommend "Fabulous Feasts" as one of your
first books, especially if you are limited in funds, it isn't a bad
one to have in your research library. It is divided into two halves.
The second half is the half with recipes. Almost all of these are
totally undocumentable and many just don't taste that good on top of
it. So don't use the second half. However the first half is actually
pretty good on its background of medieval foods and eating.

For more reviews, both good and bad, see this file in the Florilegium
FOOD-BOOKS section:
Fabulous-Fsts-msg (26K)  4/12/08    Reviews and comments on Madeleine
Pelner
                                        Cosman's "Fabulous Feasts".

Stefan
--------