[Sca-cooks] A different "Fresh Cheese" question

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Jun 4 19:13:26 PDT 2008

>Making cheese is something very new to me (obviously) and I've been
>hesitant over the years to try.

I've been too busy to take part in most of this conversation, and others have said most of what I would have said.   I've been cleaning all day and am a wet noodle just now.. a hurting wet noodle.  Not just cleaning.. moving books, and you know what that is like for a SCAian

I try to leave the milk at room temp for a couple of hours before starting to make the cheese.  And I put in some yogurt with active cultures.  Special cheese cultures would be better, but it helps quite a bit.  I've had at least one batch curdle over heat with no added acid at all.

Start with half the acid you think it will need, wait 5 min before adding more, and add it a little at a time, not really stirring, just gently folding it in.

And NOTHING tastes as good as cheese made outside over a fire.

Ranvaig