[Sca-cooks] Recipe Deal Breakers

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jun 5 19:08:48 PDT 2008

The New York Times had an article yesterday in
the Wed. Food section on recipes.

  Recipe Deal Breakers: When Step 2 Is ‘Corral Pig’
By KIM SEVERSON
Published: June 4, 2008 NYT
it begins--
"I WAS reading a recipe for apple strudel when I came to a sentence that
stopped me cold: “If you don’t have a helper,” it began.
If a dish needs a helper, I need to move on.

Although I didn’t end up with a strudel, I did end up on a quest. I
began asking good cooks I know about recipe deal breakers — those
ingredients or instructions that make them throw down the whisk and walk
away."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/dining/04recipes.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin

One of the things she chronicles is the now infamous Martha Stewart
beehive cake that appears on the front of the June issue of MS Living.
(The pan used for the cake has been out of production for years and even
the suggested substitute Nordicware pan is now unavailable.)

I thought people might enjoy the article. Given what we go through
in working with medieval and renaissance recipes, most of these problems
don't seem that bad.

Johnnae