[Sca-cooks] Prayers for recipe timing

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 6 08:09:28 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 07:53 -0700, David Walddon wrote:
> Three minutes seems much more reasonable for a soft boiled egg than
> 60 seconds in Thorvald's case and 90 seconds in the other case.
> But I can't get it to be more than 30 seconds either!
> What specific chant are you using to draw it out to a whole minute.
> And what do you all think Martino would have used when saying the
> Pater Noster? Is there a version from the mid-to-late 1400's in Italy
> that is longer?
>
> Eduardo

Doesn't Martino also specify putting the eggs (possibly smaller than
we're used to?) into cold water, and then boil them for the space of a
paternoster? Doesn't this then suggest there's an indeterminate period
on the fire while we wait for the water to come up to a boil? It might
not be so unreasonable after all.

I'm reminded of having to boil eggs for my station at Le Colombe d'Or,
and being required to do it The Official Way the executive chef wanted
it done, which involved putting the eggs into hard boiling water (cracks
were of secondary importance to a specific yolk color) and boil them at
a full boil for eight minutes.

Kinda the opposite of Martino's method.

Adamantius