[Sca-cooks] Another potentially Hungarian recipe

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 11 18:45:02 PDT 2008

With the subject "Another potentially Hungarian recipe -- Messisbugo":
Emilio szabo wrote:
>Georges Vicaire, in his "Bibliographie gastronomique" (online at
>http://gallica.bnf.fr), mentions only the "Banchetti" and says, that this book
>was published from 1552 onwards under a different title ("Libro novo ...").
>I have not seen the 1549 edition, I have only a xerocopy of a
>Arnoldo Forni Editore
>reprint of the 1557 edition of "Libro novo ...".

Ah! A sort of standard 16th century history, published under one
title, republished with a change of title, and published a few more
times, with or without changes of content.

Thanks for the information, Emilio. I know relatively little about
Messisbugo, but what little i found looked interesting. Your
description of his work makes him sound quite valuable.

I haven't found much of his work in English, and my Italian is
limited to a combination of high school Latin, restaurant menu
Spanish, a good deal more French, and an Italian dictionary.

>There are several other "hungarian" recipes, but they do not fit the
>version of the
>Victoria and Albert museum.

When you have time, perhaps you can share them. I'm afraid that will
require both the Italian and an English translation, since many of us
on this list are linguistically challenged.

And with the subject: "Another potentially Hungarian recipe / Hungarian uproar"
Emilio wrote further:
>  > The Victoria and Albert museum in London has some recipes on their website.
>  >
>http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/recipesmessisbugo.html
>  >
>  > Among them is: Veal Soup in a Hungarian Uproar
>  > The original Italian is not given, and i wonder about that
>"Hungarian uproar"...
>
>Just in case I have found the right recipe,* it seems to me, that someone
>might have misunderstood the phrase "in Fracasso".
>
>In the context of this recipe, a better interpretation would be
>something like 'cut into pieces'.
>
>I am not sure ...
>
>* Pottaccio, di Vitello in Fracasso, Omgaresco.
>
>Piglia un petto di Vitello, e fallo in pezzoli, e dopoi (dopo??)
>fallo soffrigere in grasso colato poi habbi Cipolle ben
>peste, e gettale dentro a soffrigere, dopoi come, e soffrito
>caualo della Patella, e ponilo in una Pignata con brodo di Carne,
>e aggiungeli, libra una di mele, e oncia meza di peuere,
>e Cannella, e uno ottauo di Zaffrano, e libra meza d'Vua
>passa, e fallo finire di cuocere adagio, e lo imbandirai.

Thank you for finding the Italian! The recipe you've shared sure
looks like the right one. I suspected that the original didn't really
say "in a Hungarian Uproar". It sounds too much like running
something through Babelfish from one language to another, and then
back again :-)

I wonder if "fracasso" is related to "fricassee" which came into
English from French i believe. If i understand the term correctly
(and i'm sure others will correct me if i have not), "fricassee"
involves cutting something into pieces, although not necessarily
really small ones, and frying quickly in fat, then simmering with
liquid and other ingredients.

So this is sort of "Hungarian-style Veal Fricassee Soup".
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing