[Sca-cooks] Cookbooks for Beginners

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 08:50:32 PDT 2008

I'm expecting all sorts of flames here (ducks and runs)...but, for a
beginner's overview of how it was done, the first part of Fab Feasts is
actually pretty good.  Ignore the recipes by all means, but the first part
is good.  Anything by Scully is superb...I have all but the latest book,
which I'll probably pick up at Pennsic from Devra...in truth, his "The Art
of Cookery" actually inspired me to write the article I did on 14th century
kitchens!  He has an excellent section on the humors, among other things.

I guess that, as a beginner, I'd look to the introductory materials in many
of the cookbooks already mentioned...each has a discussion of how things
were done in the area the recipes come from.

Kiri