[Sca-cooks] OOP: Cottage Cheese & Butter - US vs. Canada

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 13:54:04 PDT 2008

Eduardo wrote:
>I have been in the States for a LONG time now (1983) and I miss the
>less salted, no colored, more expensive butter of my youth.

Hmmm... i buy unsalted butter, and there's no added color, so it's
often rather pale yellow...

>My grandparents used to have a house in the States and every winter
>when they would go to the states they would "smuggle" canadian
>sausages, bacon (from Canada not Canadian bacon) and Canadian aged
>Cheddar down to the states.

I love well aged cheddar. I can find it, but it's certainly more
expensive than the bright orange rubbery cheddar at the average
supermarket.

>When I go home I always come back with several things that are
>impossible or expensive to get here - Scotch Broth, Salad Cream, a
>specific kind of Sloppy Joe mix, and mint sauce and jelly.

The Berkeley Bowl has imported Salad Cream, and mint sauce and jelly...

Campbell's makes, or used to make, something they called "Scotch
Broth". I don't know if they still do - i haven't bought Campbell's
soups for many decades - and i don't know how different it may
be/have been from what you long for. IIRC, it had barley in it, and
small chunks of meat, maybe lamb. I can't recall what else it had in
it, it has been a long time since i had any.

Can't speak to Sloppy Joe mix, since i've never bought any.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing