[Sca-cooks] Almond milk cheese

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Tue Jun 17 16:00:29 PDT 2008

Also Epulario 1598 (easily searchable at work) has these for cheese
and butter. The egg one at the end is just for fun! No relationship
to the cheese or butter discussion.

I haven't tried any of these recipes to see how they turn out.

Anyone else?

Eduardo

195) To make Curds of Almonds in Lent.
Take blanched Almonds and stampe them with Rosewater, then with two
ounces of Sugar, ten ounces of Rosewater, and halfe a pint of Pike or
Tench broth, (for the broth of other sea or fresh water fish is not
good, and let not the broth be very salt but somewhat thicke) temper
them together, and straine it so hard that there remaine no part of
the substance of the Almonds in the Strayner, let this Curd stand for
the space of one night, and put it in a dish or other vessell, and in
the morning you shall find it curdy like curds of Milke. And if you
will you may put them into greene leaves or other hearbes like Cheese
curds, or let it stand in the dish, strawing it with Sugar or
Annyseed Comfigs, you may adde thereto a little flower because it
bindeth.

196) To counterfet Lenten Cheese Curds
  Take a pound of blanched Almonds and stampe them as aforesaid, then
take foure ounces of Sugar, an ounce of Rosewater, and a glasse full
of fish broth aforesaid, and of the same fishes broth : then temper
them together & strain them thicke, then forme them and send them to
the Table in a dish or upon a plate, strawing it with Sugar and
Annyseed comfets.

197) To counterfeit Butter.
  Take a pound of blanched Almonds as aforesaid, & stamp them and
straine them with halfe a glasse of Rosewater, and to make them curdy
put a little flower or half a glasse of Pike or Tench broth, with
four ounces of Sugar and a little Saffron to make it yellow,
straining it thick, then make it in fashion of a dish of butter, and
set it all night to thicken against morning in a cold place.

198) To counterfeit Egges.
Take Almonds and blanch them well and stampe them, tempering them
with Rosewater that they bee not oiley, adding some Pike broth that
is fat, and strain them like milke, then take halfe a pound of clean
Rice according to the quantity you will make, which seeth in halfe
the milke made of the Almonds : take also three ounces of the best &
whitest flower  that may bee gotten, and dissolve it in the other
halfe of the milke, then let it boyle for the space of halfe a
quarter of an houre, stirring it with a spoon, and let it not tast of
the smoke : this done, take the Rice aforesaid and all the milk, and
strain it hard with your hand, for the thicker the better, and forget
not to adde good store of Sugar, then take a quantity or part of the
said composition as much as you think good, which you shall make
yellow with Saffron, and thereof make round Bals like the yolks of
Egges, then take two wooden moulds in forme of Egges, and if you have
no moulds in stead thereof take the made yolkes of Egges, compassing
them about with the white composition, making them round like egges,
and so lay them in the dish, and they will shew like hard Egs without
shels, & tempering a little of that white stuffe with Rosewater and
Sugar, whote or cold as you thinke good, they will shew like curds.
And if you will use them dry cast none of that liquor upon them, but
in stead thereof cast Sugar beaten small.

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST
REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.com