[Sca-cooks] OK, you have $7500 to use to build a library

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Wed Jun 4 11:13:50 PDT 2008

Considering the number of books that are available on-line, including Digby,
etc.  I'd find a University Library with an Early English Books Online
subscription and downloading to your little hearts content.  I have two CD's
full of Texts actually printed in the 15 and 1600's that are searchable,
printable, etc.  Best of all, they cost me nothing more than my time, and
the CD's.  I don't make these available to the general public.  They are for
Research purposes only.

Bound books are subject to loss, destruction (fire, flood), etc.  Consider
using some of that $7500 for a decent printer, scanner, and internet
connection.

Again, you have to be sure that this is for research purposes, not simply
copyright violation.  If the books are actual period copies, or copies from
the early 1800's they are out of copyright and you may only need the okay of
the libraries that hold them in their collections.  Not all libraries are
"dog in the manger" about their collections.  Most I have worked with are
subscribers to the concept that they are a tax supported institution, and it
is their duty to make their holdings available to the broadest possible
base.

Regina