[Sca-cooks] brewing

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 22 18:09:20 PDT 2008

Ian of Oertha said:

<<< Anyway, I'm going to see if there's any way for me to get
involved in this
with a minimum of equipment (which I have no place to put)...maybe
I'll try
a couple of methods in parallel. >>>

Start out using one gallon jugs of juice. You can drink it as is, or
use it for your first brewing. But one gallon glass jugs are easy to
come by at your local grocery, they are easier to handle than the 5-
gallon ones, and the ingredients cost less. If you find a recipe or
type of beverage you like, then you can move up to larger batches.

I had the same problem on lack of space in my old house. I only had
the two bathrooms which were uncarpeted. When my lady moved in, and
later became my wife, I lot one of the bathrooms and stopped brewing.
Our new house has a large room which is not carpet, but I've yet to
start brewing again.

<<< Oh....and, according to one of the brewing books I saw, even
private brewing
isn't legal without an inspection of your facilities....is that true?

Again, it depends upon what country you are in, which I don't think
you've told us yet. In the U.S. you can not distill without a
difficult to get license. Period. Even freeze-distilling is
technically illegal. Brewing also has a maximum amount that can be
legally brewed per household.  I suspect that some of the larger
volume SCA brewers probably, maybe unintentionally, exceed this. The
US federal laws for both brewing and distilling can be found in the
Florilegium. As far as I'm aware there is no federally required
inspection of your facilities. But then again, you can't legally sell
what you brew, either. There may be local laws that require
inspections, though.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas