[Sca-cooks] Non-Period Food Story

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 30 18:32:56 PDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 7:24 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> I saw the story on "Slate" earlier today.  From there I googled
> various recipes.  All of them are interesting.
>
> The similarities to the earliest renditions of MREs (Meal, Ready to
> Eat), are ... well ... memorable.
>
> At the same time … this is for the prisoner who is segregated for
> punishment purposes.

I think that's part of the problem. If you call it punishment, it
opens up the legal question of what constitutes "cruel and unusual".
If, on the other hand, it's a simple expedient for prisoners who have
shown that they cannot be given cutlery for the safety of themselves
and others, the cruel and unusual part becomes a matter of opinion.

>  The food fulfills all the basic requirements for a daily diet.  It
> is beats ‘bread and water’, and is a HUGE improvement over the force-
> feeding staple of raw eggs through a funnel.  It has the added
> benefit of being a deterrent to further bad behavior.

Are there statistics proving it's an effective deterrent? Of course,
the photo did look like something you'd hang in the cage of
particularly disliked parrot.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter