[Sca-cooks] Curing a new Tajine

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 06:51:50 PDT 2008

Of all the books i have, only this one any directions for curing a new tajine.

Most typical tajines are plain red earthenware and only glazed on the
inside. There are also fancy tajines glazed inside and out in typical
Moroccan colors and patterns. I suspect these are chiefly for
serving, not cooking in, but i am not 100% certain.

Most Moroccans cook over charcoal, some use small two-burner kerosene
stoves. When i was there, the educated middle-class family hosting my
daughter had a modern stove in their apartment kitchen that they
never used, and a little two burner unit that sat on a counter top
that they did use. I never asked why - it is possible that there was
no longer gas going to the building.

 From "Taste of Morocco"
by Robert Carrier
pub: Boxtree Ltd., UK, 1996
ISBN 0 7522 1039 4

p. 161
"How to Mature a New Moroccan Tajine

"Moroccan glazed earthenware tajines are 'matured' and 'flavoured' at
a low temperature in the oven with aromatics before using, to (1)
remove any earthenware flavour from the new tajine; (2) impregnate
the tajine with aromatic flavours; (3) ensure the new tajine is
introduced gently to heat before being used over charcoal (in the
Moroccan manner) or (protected by an asbestos heat diffuser) on top
of the stove.

"In the bottom of the tajine, combine 1 peeled and sliced onion, 4
sliced carrots, 2 cloves peeled garlic, and 1 bay leaf with 1.1
liter/2 pints water and 4 tablespoons olive oil. Cover with conical
lid of tajine and cook in a preheated cool oven (140-150 C / 275-300
F / Gas 1-2) for 30-40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Remove tajine from oven and allow to cool gradually to room
temperature before removing ingredients and washing tajine."

-----

Note that i have not done this myself, i'm only repeating what
Carrier says. I cannot make any guarantees.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing