[Sca-cooks] dandelions

Cindy Sorenson wolfhawke81 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:44:36 PDT 2008

Not to ignore the comments on what I said... I have about a dozen herb books (medicinal uses), and need to scour through to find which one it was.  Once found, I will post the info.

I believe you are incorrect in this statement.  Digitalis is mostly derived
from digioxigenin (IIRC) found in members of genus Digitalis.

My notes show that dandelions contain caffeic acid which may cause renal
problems and cancer when the roots are used as an infusion (dandelion
coffee).  Dandelions can also interact with diuretics, diabetes medications
(probably due to the inulin in the plant), and ulcer medications.

Reactions to the plant are commonly presistent stomach ache and/or constant
diarrhea.  Occasionally there is an allergic reaction (skin rash, itching,
etc.).

Milkweed contains alkaloids in the sap, ranging from irritating to extremely
dangerous, depending on the species.  Digitalis is glycoside and , to my
knowledge, not found in milkweed.

I would be interested in the source(s) of your information, since they
contradict what I know and I am interested in determining why the
contradiction occurs.

Bear