[Sca-cooks] Fig Newtons from God?

aldyth at aol.com aldyth at aol.com
Sat Mar 29 14:15:27 PDT 2008

This morning at work a wonderful older jewish lady brought in a care package to say thank you for taking such good care of her terrier.? She knows I like to cook.? Her words were, "The little basket is full of Fig Newtons from God.?Just for you. Guess what they are. They are as old as Abraham"

So, I sampled one.? Very light outside butter cookie dough that was rolled out or flattened. Inside one was what I thought would be fig, but was poppy seed goo.? Another one was strawberry I think.? The edges of the cookie were folded up on the filling, leaving a finger print sized hole. Mostly round, or sort of 3 sided. They also had been dusted with powdered sugar, (I hope that was what it was).

Surely not a cuskeynole.? Google was helpful with various versions of thumbprint cookies. If this is?a period cookie, it would be wonderful to include on a dessert sideboard.? Ideas?

Aldyth