[Sca-cooks] Indulgences

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 14:12:14 PDT 2008

Nick Sasso wrote:
> Unless you 'earned' an indulgence or several.  I do not mean to dierct this
> into a religio-political discussion, just that there were gracious plenty of
> 'legal'/sanctioned means of bypassing lenten dietary restriction for those
> who had the resources.
>
> I had thought that High Feast days (like Sundays and Patron Saint Feast Days
> . . . hence the word 'feast') were not restricted to fast and abstinance
> requirements.  Go figure.
>
> niccolo difrancesco

You know more about this than I as per Stefan's indulgences-msg:
http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/RELIGION/indulgences-msg.html

but from what I can see in the Middle Ages we are dealing with
indulgences to eat butter and cheese not for eggs or Feast Days.

I wrote:

> >No there were no days off during medieval Lents.

Elsie Fleming replied:
"But does this apply to Tudor England or even medieval England?  I tried to
do some internet searching and found a reference in Chaucer that on the
fourth Sunday of Lent the restrictions were lifted so as to not make
keeping them a burden.  While both England and Spain were Catholic at this
time, I'm not sure that the restrictions of one - even though both were
technically of the same religion - were exactly the same as the
restrictions in the other."

	I do not consider the Tudors medieval. Interesting that there is a reference to Chaucer about lifting of Lenten restrictions on the fourth Sunday in Lent. I do not have any indication of that happening in Spain.
	No, restrictions of Roman Catholicism have never been the same in different countries. When I first went to Spain I could not enter a church wearing a sleeveless dress or without a veil on my head. That is a whole different subject. What we want to keep to is where does Chaucer say Lenten restrictions were lifted??? Did one buy an indulgence for that? I think I am beginning to recall someone in the Tales buying indulgences. And the seller was the Pardoner!
Suey