[Sca-cooks] panir (paneer?) and apricots

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 31 18:42:34 PDT 2008

Constanza Marina de Huelva requested:
<<< Oh.  May I have the recipe for Panir?  I've been playing with the
idea of
learning to make my own cheeses.  (**Sigh.  Not really on my Weight
Watchers
plan, but still my down fall.)  >>>

In addition, you might find these files in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium of interest. I believe there are directions for making
Panir (or paneer) in one of them.

fresh-cheeses-msg (44K)  2/ 3/08    Fresh cheeses such as cream
cheese and
                                        cottage cheese. Non-aged
cheeses.

cheesemaking-msg (160K)  2/ 9/08    Comments and info. on
cheesemaking. Recipes.

There are some other files on cheese and cheesemaking in that section
as well.

<<< Besides, anything with apricots has to be good! >>>

If you go to the top of the Florilegium site and plug "apricots" into
the search engine there, you will find a number of medieval recipes
and other info on apricots.  I guess I've not seen enough messages to
create a separate file for them, but this file has the following to say:
Period-Fruit-art  (60K)  1/13/02    "Fruit of Period Times" by Baron
                                        Akim Yaroslavich.

"APRICOTS
The wild ancestor, now lost, of Apricots (Prunus armeniaca) grew in
China where they were first cultivated over 4000 years ago. (105)
Silk traders carried seeds of the apricot to Persia in the 2nd
century B.C.; from there, it spread to Armenia, Greece and Rome.
Pliny regarded the apricot as between a plum and a peach, referring
to it as an Armenian plum (106). A Roman variety of plum, Roman or
Common, is known today as Brussels (107). Orange was an old variety
thought to have come from Persia (108). The gardens of Henry VIII had
the first apricots to be grown in England in 1542 (109), though the
dried fruit was known earlier. Dried apricots were imported during
Roman times from Damascus and Upper Egypt (110) before the fruit was
grown in Italy.
Apricots are often stuffed with sweetmeats in traditional Arabic
cookery. The pits contain kernels which when roasted are used as
almonds are used in Italian pasteries."

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas