[Sca-cooks] Perry and Huicci

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 19:02:14 PDT 2008

Elise Fleming wrote:

His Grace Cariadoc could clarify better than I but my recollection is that
Perry used our English translation of Huici when he looked at the Arabic
copy from about the 1500s.  Three of us translated sections of Huici
Miranda's Spanish version.  I reviewed all the work and tried to make the
English translations consistent, plus making some suppositions and
corrections in the English translation.  I sent it to Cariadoc who then
sent it to Perry.  Perry - my recollection is from about 1989 or 1990 -
used an Arabic copy that was produced in the 1500s and checked our English
against the more original Arabic.  I believe he also made some judgments
about Huici's choice of Spanish based on what Perry read in the old
manuscript.  So, I would say that Perry worked directly from the Hispano
Arabic since he was looking at the copy.  However, he didn't have to start
from scratch.  He compared our English and Huici's translation to what he
read in the Arabic manuscript.  I don't know if this clarifies anything.  I
do know that a number of the recipes in his version are virtually
word-for-word for what the three of us did when we translated from Huici's
Spanish into modern English.  Somewhere in my files I should have a copy of
the comments that Perry made on my translation from Huici.

Alys Katharine

You clarify everything. I hope Perry was not paid for what you did. The more I review this work the more convinced I am that you and Huici are the producers of the translations and that Perry did nothing but critize you, which I object to.
Suey