[Sca-cooks] OT, quite OT RE: Opinions, documentation, rants and flames RE: Crocodile was Magpies

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 7 06:01:36 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
On Mar 6, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

>> niccolo difrancesco
>> (haven't seen a really good flame in a couple years since that guy
>> who
>> couldn't spell too well when he was b at stardizing people.)
>
> We probably avoid flames, because direct application might carbonize
> the
> meat to the detriment of the flavor.  Slow roasting is so much
> better, don't
> you think?

Searing is okay, but I agree on the active carbonizing. Besides, it
changes the character of the spices; they often lose their edge.
Adamantius > > > > > > >

See, I am a fan of open fire roasting . . .but only over coals.  Intense
radiant and convective heat is superior in ability to control the direction
and flares.  So, I prefer to smolder and sear rather than flame up and
carbonize everything.  Carbon built over time is so much more flavorful and
actually build s a flavor profile rahter than just scorching the spice/herb
rubs we so often use.

A good braise is good . . . stewing in liquid tenderizes so well.

niccolo difrancesco