[Sca-cooks] Newbie question about dandelions

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Mon Mar 10 23:31:01 PDT 2008

Old world. Colonist brought the herb over and it took over. I don't believe
anyone has tried to hybrid them :) so they probably look today like they did
long ago. Gerard lists two types with the difference being the root. One is
like what you see as common Dandelion and the other is "Knottie rooted
Dandelion". Please note that with Gerard's work one should take it with a
wee bit o' salt. Gerard's Herbal was first published in 1597.

All parts are edible, it's the area that you pick them from that you need to
be cautious about.

Medicinal, dyes, coffee substitute...etc

For salads the young leaves are best and less bitter.

It is a strong diuretic (makes you p) that doesn't seem to deplete the body
of potassium, good source of Vit. C, flushes the kidneys and liver.

Go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Herbalist/
and join for more info