[Sca-cooks] BAD sources for historical cooks

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 13 12:27:33 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
We both have examples of good resources. But aside from my copy of
"Fabulous Feasts" which i bought decades ago and not for the recipes
anyway, neither of us owns any really bad recipe sources.

By bad sources, I don't mean out of period books, but sources which
appear to present Medieval recipes and fail.

We plan to show the students these books so they can see why they are not
good.

I thank you for any suggestions.  > > > > > >

I am going to take some heat for this suggestion, but for the above
definition, "A Drizzle of Honey" is an example.  The discourse is useful and
documented . . . the recipes seem to be adaptations of recipes from English
works and made to be more relavent.  "Food and Drink in Medieval Poland" is
another worth considering.  Both are useful texts, valuable information and
unique in the US English language, but as actual recipe sources, seem to be
less than ideal.  Both are mixed bags of info.

Lest we forget our old friend Joseph Dommers Vehling and his translation of
Apicius!

niccolo difrancesco