[Sca-cooks] East European sources

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Mar 13 18:13:04 PDT 2008

Actually there are travelers accounts that are published. I would start
there.

The rare and most vvonderful thinges which Edward Webbe an Englishman
borne, hath seene and passed in his troublesome travailes, in the
citties of Ierusalem, Dammasko, Bethelem [sic] and Galely: and in the
Landes of Iewrie, Egipt, Gtecia [sic], Russia, and in the Land of
Prester Iohn. : Wherein is set foorth his extreame slauerie sustained
many yeres togither, in the Gallies & wars of the great Turk against the
landes of Persia, Tartaria, Spaine, and Portugall with the manner of his
releasement,  1600

Sir Thomas Smithes voyage and entertainment in Rushia with the tragicall
ends of two emperors, and one empresse, within one moneth during his
being there: and the miraculous preseruation of the now raigning
emperor,  1605

The reporte of a bloudie and terrible massacre in the citty of Mosco
with the fearefull and tragicall end of Demetrius the last Duke, before
him raigning at this present. 1607

Johnnae

Lilinah wrote: snipped