[Sca-cooks] Replacing a pan...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 17 17:08:00 PDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 7:41 PM, rattkitten wrote:

> www.sangkung.com  Their prices beat EVERY Place I have been to.
> Admantius could probably tell you all about the store since it is
> right
> there in or near China Town.   Hell I don't remember where it is, we
> walked up and down Broadway for like 12 hours... but I recommend this
> place for any purchases!!! I have never EVER EVER been disappointed
> with
> any purchase from them.

There's a whole little restaurant supply district on the Bowery just
north of Houston Street, which is probably what you're thinking of; a
lot of little dark shops (and some big ones, and some not-so-dark)
with used Ray Bari pizza ovens sitting out on the sidewalk in front of
them. The whole area is sort of a cook's theme park ;-). South of
Houston and it's several city blocks of lamps and chandeliers, plus
antiques (although not bargain antiques, unfortunately) and imported
furniture.

The whole area is pretty much irresistible to those poor, benighted
souls who cannot resist rummaging through huge stacks of what the ill-
informed would call junk.

The restaurant supply places do have their stuff well-sorted, clean,
in good shape, and neatly stacked, but the whole neighborhood just has
a sort of flea-market atmosphere. Of course, it _is_ the Lower East
Side of Manhattan, and it's probably been this way for over a century.

Adamantius