[Sca-cooks] Good Basic Cooking References

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 17 18:20:27 PDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

> Lilinah wrote:
>
>> I use my 1970s edition of "The Joy of Cooking". What do other
>> people use?
>>

> Ah.  You appear to have beaten me to the punch.  I also have a 75th
> Anniversary Joy of Cooking, and the Fanny Farmer (you have no idea how
> rude that sounds to NZers) Cookbook.

It's not just any farmer that can farm a fanny, you know. It takes
talent.

I use TJoC, a couple of books by James Beard (who always seemed, in
his writing style, to be barely concealing some major perversion that
he really wanted to get off his chest, but whose views on food
generally coincide rather eerily with mine; unfortunately I'm quite
the bore on the whole perversion thing -- I don't even farm fannies).
I've also found Food For Fifty and the textbooks of Wayne Gisslen to
be enormously helpful.

Adamantius