[Sca-cooks] Good Basic Cooking References

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 22:28:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Antonia Calvo
<ladyadele at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>  Ah.  You appear to have beaten me to the punch.  I also have a 75th
>  Anniversary Joy of Cooking, and the Fanny Farmer (you have no idea how
>  rude that sounds to NZers) Cookbook.

I know how rude it sounds -- and why -- but it is a helpful book.  If
you wish, you could call it by its original title, "the Boston
Cooking-School Cookbook".

I'd recommend something like Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking" or
"Cookwise" by Shirley Corriher.  Both of these discuss the science of
food, and will help cooks understand why medieval recipes call for
certain ingredients and techniques.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
My NEW email is rcarrollmann at gmail.com