[Sca-cooks] roman feast

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 18 12:49:47 PDT 2008

>i am thinking of stretching my wings a bit and
>submitting
>a roman/saturnalia midwinter bid. yeah, i know.

>anyhoo, i know apicius, but can anyone direct me to
>some
>other research/writers/books?  or even best
>translations?

Yay! Can't have too much civilisation IMO!

The best English translation of Apicius (and most
likely the best one period) you will find is the new
one by Sally Grainger and Christopher Grocock.

For other sources, if you don't want to go back to
Archestratus or forward to Anthimus, you still have
the independent Apician collation of Vinidarius (it is
included in the Grainger/Grocock Apicius).  Then there
is Alastair Elliot's collection 'Roman Food Poems' and
Mark Grant's 'Galen on Food and Diet' (both Prospect
Books). Some recipes and other food-related content
are found in Cato's 'de agri cultura' and Columellas
book (I don't recall the exact title, but it's also on
farming). There are also some hints in Pliny's Natural
History, and you can always go to the Deipnosophists
if you're looking for an interpretative challenge
(loads of information, mostly in tiny pieces and
almost all pretty cryptic). All the latter are out in
Loeb Classical Library editions.

Giano

      Machen Sie Yahoo! zu Ihrer Startseite. Los geht's:
http://de.yahoo.com/set