[Sca-cooks] roman feast

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Mar 18 13:01:26 PDT 2008

Get the new  Christopher Grocock and Sally Grainger's /Apicius: A
Critical Edition with an Introduction and English Translation /which
Prospect Books released in 2006.
Then Sally did a recipe book titled /Cooking Apicius: Roman Recipes for
Today/. It has her modern interpretations of 64 of the recipes in the
original text.

As to the list that Euriol submitted, that's a great start. I would skip
Vehling and also add these volumes that I included in my last TI
culinary bibliography.

Renfrew, Jane. *Roman Cookery. Recipes and History*. [London:] English Heritage, 2005. New edition of her 1985 work. You might like the pictures.

Alcock, Joan P. *Food in Roman Britain*. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK and
Charleston, SC: Tempus, 2001. Presents archaeological evidence for what
the Romans ate in Britain. 192 pages with photos.

There are others of course. I just had a new one arrive today.

Johnnae