[Sca-cooks] Above/Below the Salt was Greetings

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 19 06:00:04 PDT 2008

What I was thinking about is organizing the group to carry out the task, in
this case two feasts at once.  If there is internal dissent, then you are
very likely to fail.  The best way to eliminate dissent is to get everyone
on board at the beginning.  The more complex the task organization, the more
necessary the attention to the people and the details.  From Antonia's
description, it sounds suspiciously like the steward didn't have the
organizational or communication skills to pull it off.

Five or five hundred, did you get what you paid for or did your fee
subsidize someone else's goody?  I see no issue with the financial rules, as
long as the budgeting and expenses are proportional to the price.  Having
been involved with a couple 400-500 person feasts as a planner and baker, I
wouldn't even try to run a two tier feast for a group that size.  Unless you
have some serious facilities, you run into issues of kitchen capacity and
seating without having the hassle of figuring out who should get what.

I would point out that you are using quality for cost.  An inexpensive meat
in abundance can be of good quality, while an expensive meat in small
portions can be of abysmal quality and vise versa.  The objective is to
provide quantity and quality in both cases within the contraints of the
budget.

Now you're tempting me to plan a feast of expensive ingredients at an
affordable price, distracting me from the wedding reception munchies I'm
preparing for this Friday.  That's just wicked, that is. :-)

Bear