[Sca-cooks] Parchment-like bacon ...

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 19 13:18:26 PDT 2008

Actually as I already mentioned yesterday
the easiest way to search these on the web is to just use Doc's
website and its search features at MedievalCookery.com.
In this case there is a helpful list of cookbooks on the web that
would allow you to do your own searching.
The Pichon edition of Le Menagier  is available on the web.
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/
or use the Bibliotheque Nationale version at
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k831118

The English translation is again:

This is an excerpt from *Le Menagier de Paris*
(France, 1393 - Janet Hinson, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website
<http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier.html>

SMALL BIRDS. Pluck dry and leave the feet, and spit through the body:
and between each two put a piece of fat bacon tanned like a leaf (or
parchment page).

I have at hand the boxed edition that came out in 1981. It's the one
that I use most often, although I have others here as well.

Brereton & Ferrier. Le Menagier de Paris. Oxford at the Clarendon Press,
1981
records it as

151.Menuz oiseulx. Plumez a sec, et laissiez les piez, et
embrochiiez parmy le corps. et entredeux mectre une piece de
lart gras tanve comme une feuille.

The Pichon on the web gives it as:

MENUS OISEAULX. Plumez à sec et laissiez les piés, et
embrochiez parmy le corps: et entre deux mettre une pièce de lart
gras tanné <http://www.pbm.com/%7Elindahl/menagier/menagier10.html#16>^
  comme une fueille.

Johnnae