[Sca-cooks] Recipe help

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 19 18:03:04 PDT 2008

Saint Phlip wrote:

>There's nothing wrong with eating kangaroo- knock yourself out ;-)
>Trouble is, not only do I not have anby kangaroo to cook, but it's
>also not period, since I believe kangaroos weren't discovered until
>sometime after Australia was discovered- certainly they weren't eaten
>reasonably commonly in Europe  at any time I'm aware of during our
>period- and the idea is to deeal with foods and recipes we might have
>found in European history, pre-1600.

Kangaroo is delicious, actually-- lean, dense, and not overly gamey.
While I am generally an advocate of period ingredients, I wouldn't
necessarily have a problem with 'roo being used in medieval recipes as a
substitute for venison.  The taste and texture are really _quite_
similar, so for anyone out there with better access to 'roo than roe, I
say go for it.  (Wallaby is really very tasty, too-- and free game is
free game.)

--
Antonia Calvo
(formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)