[Sca-cooks] Walnut oil

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 26 04:17:15 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Terri Morgan wrote:
> I'm playing catch-up so I don't know if anyone mentioned this
> already but
> please remember that walnut oil is a nut oil - we are specifically
> warned
> not to use it on treenware because it could cause allergic reactions
> in
> people who eat food from dishes treated with it.
>
> I would imagine that the same warning would apply to foods cut on a
> wooden
> surface coated with the oil. Especially if the knife bit into the
> wood and
> then was used to continue cutting foods.

That was touched on briefly; the theory seems to be that walnut oil
soaks deep into the wood and solidifies into a quasi-plastic layer,
and that no significant amount of walnut oil gets into foods being cut
on such a board or with any knife previously used on such a board.

No idea if this is the case, but that was the explanation. I use
mineral oil, for the most part.