[Sca-cooks] Walnut oil

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Wed Mar 26 14:35:12 PDT 2008

> That was touched on briefly; the theory seems to be
> that walnut oil soaks deep into the wood and
> solidifies into a quasi-plastic layer, and that no
> significant amount of walnut oil gets into foods
> being cut on such a board or with any knife previously
> used on such a board.
>No idea if this is the case, but that was the explanation.
> I use mineral oil, for the most part.

As do I. You're on the SCA Med. Sawdust list - do you remember the guy who
wrote about going into anapalactic (Okay, so I can't spell) shock after
eating from a dish that had been finished with walnut oil? My memory of his
account seems to have said that the wooden dish was not brand-new and had
been used by his hosts for a while.

So since I love the folks I know who have nut allergies, I use mineral oil.
So far (knock on wood), no one I know is allergic to it.

Hrothny