[Sca-cooks] Salty carrots-from Isabella

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Fri Mar 28 21:16:43 PDT 2008

Speaking of polychrome veggies, I've seen white eggplants ( don't know if
they're period), across the pond they call the purple ones aubergines, which
is also the name for that color, somewhat like oranges I think. Not sure
which is the original. There is also a variety of limes called Key Limes,
they look like a lemon but they are actually a very large yellow skinned
lime that grows in South Florida and possibly the Caribbean.
I think there are purple potatoes too that grow in the Andes. But that's
getting pretty far afield, probably. Then we'd have to start talking about
all the different colors of corn and beans and squash and apples, too!
Not sure if this was the kind of stuff you were looking for, but it's
interesting anyway. Key Lime pie is one of the most sublime desserts ever
invented, says this South Florida beach girl!
Cheers,
Isabella
PS: do changing flavors count too? Oranges were originally sour, I believe.
And blood oranges are just cool looking, but hard to find.

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine