[Sca-cooks] What to do with this meat

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 11:06:37 PDT 2008

> On Mon, 5 May 2008 11:40:59 -0500
>   Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I've found the "boneless pork ribs" really
> > do pretty well when marinated in bbq sauce and grilled.
> although not period, it's my cut of choice (and cheap) for
> posole.  some of them can be pretty fatty, tho.
> cailte

"Boneless Pork Ribs" are what I use in "slow-fry", usually without
marination:  cut them to about half the existing thickness / dimensions,
leaving strips *roughly* 4(to 6)x 2 x 1 inches. Dredge dampened pieces
in flour, fry in oil roughly 1/2" deep until golden, turning as little
as possible.  I add powdered ginger, powdered thyme, garlic (or onion)
powder, and a SMALL amount of finely ground black pepper to the dredge.
I have been trimming excess fat but prefer to leave some on the meat
(plus frying up any of the trimmings to supplement flavor & oils).

I prefer safflower, sunflower, and nut-derived oils (walnut is esp.
nice) for this when I can use them, but I have a probable food
intolerance to canola and corn oils (intolerance as determined by blood
type and informal observation, not by rigorous allergist testing).

Alternate meat for this preparation method is THICK-cut pork chops --
half-inch minimum, one-inch preferable -- cut into strips one to two
inches wide.

With either meat, removal of excessive connective tissue (gristle) prior
to cooking is usually preferred by my current culinary audience.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/