[Sca-cooks] [sca-aands] Bread was libraries and the Internet

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 6 16:12:03 PDT 2008

Mistress Jadwiga said:
<<<
> All of the extant bread recipes have been gathered up along
> with a number of posts explaining why we don't have more
> bread recipes in the various cookery books and manuscripts that
> survive.
> The information is in  http://www.florilegium.org/
> Click on the left hand column under Food - Breads and Grains.

This is a nice file, but somewhere along the way some of the period
bread
recipes that were posted to SCA-Cooks appear to have gotten detached or
misplaced. At last count, I think we were at either 9 or 10 recipes, up
from the previous 7. But this doesn't exactly match what's in the
Florilegium. >>>

I've had to skim through this mail list recently (for now), so I
missed this original message. This wasn't from me. Although I often
point out that many (most?) or the known period bread recipes are in
the Florilegium, I've never claimed all of them were.

Part of the problem comes in defining what is, and is not, a period
bread recipe as well as drawing the line between what is a bread,
what is a pastry and what is something else. I note for instance, in
Jadwiga's posting that she includes the bagel recipe. I'm not sure
that I would include that as a period *bread* recipe. And do flat
(unleavened) breads get included or not?

It is also possible that something has been posted which I have yet
to get added to the appropriate file, or I've simply missed it. While
I try to read all of this lists digests, sometimes I don't get some.
I've also been working since January to get all the files in the
Florilegium updated to the new format and include Google ads to pay
for the site, so while I've been saving all the digests and scanning
them for anything I can help with, I haven't been adding any of the
info here since January to the Florilegium, but I will go back and do
so in the future.

<<< This is what I've extracted; could people take a look at it and
see what's
missing or repeated? I apologize to those whose translations have lost
their attributions in the extraction process. >>>

Thank you. I've been considering creating a file that was just the
period bread recipes, but I hadn't done that yet, in part because of
the reasons I stated above. I will save your notes/extractions and
use that as a starting point for a new file. I guess I'll just list
the recipes as you have and refer people back to the breads-msg (and
other files) in case they want to read the commentary and discussions
about these recipes.

I also notice a number of, I assume, HTML character strings like
"libre 3 d�acqua". This handling of characters with accents
and such, is a problem with Word's translation to HTML characters
that I've been struggling with and will continue to work on.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com