[Sca-cooks] Need Advice on cookbooks

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri May 9 00:11:29 PDT 2008

Part of the problem you are encountering may lie in the fact that
many of these countries did not publish cookbooks prior to 1600.
For those countries that did publish, only a limited number have
translated into English.

Taking your list and going through it:

Irish-- earliest is late 17th or early 18th and that's a reprint of an English volume.

Celtic-- not a country at all.

German-- see http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_links1.htm and
http://www.medievalcookery.com/etexts.shtm#Germany  for online texts

Danish seehttp://www.medievalcookery.com/etexts.shtm#Denmark
See Grew and Hieatt *Libellus De Arte Coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book (Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies) for the 13th century manuscript in Danish.

*Polish-- no early cookbooks in Polish. You might look at: *Food and Drink in Medieval Poland: Rediscovering a Cuisine of the Past.

*Greek
Spanish see http://www.medievalcookery.com/etexts.shtm#Spain

Middle eastern see *Medieval Arab Cookery* and *Baghdad Cookery Book *newly translated by Charles Perry.
also see http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
also see Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens
Ibn Sayya-r al-Warra-q's Tenth-Century Baghdadi Cookbook
English Translation with Introduction and Glossary by Nawal Nasrallah
Hardback 876 pages at $195.00.

I reviewed that one for this list in January.

Hungary Nothing published

Iceland
See Grew and Hieatt *Libellus De Arte Coquinaria: An Early Northern Cookery Book (Medieval and Renaissance Texts and Studies) for the 13th century manuscript in Danish.
*
Morocco Nothing published that early under Cookery--Morocco

Scotland-- First cookbook dates from 1736!

No project on sauces would be complete without seeing the Latin

Opusculum de Saporibus is up on Thomas Gloning's website
  http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/sapor.htm>

and "A Mediaeval Sauce-Book" by Lynn Thorndike. Speculum, Vol. 9, No. 2
(Apr., 1934), pp. 183-190. That version is on JSTOR now.

There's another paper of course:
Scully, Terence. "The *Opusculum de Saporibus* of Magninus
Mediolanensis." Medium Aevum, v. 54, no. 2, 1986: p. 178-207.

I am amazed to learn that you know and can work with all these languages.

Happy interlibrary loaning

Johnnae llyn Lewis