[Sca-cooks] Romanian was Need Advice on cookbooks

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri May 9 08:19:54 PDT 2008

That one is listed in my files as Romanian and also 17th century.
And it's a manuscript.
We started talking about these sources back in June 2002. I suggested
at that time Petru take a look at:

O lume într-o carte de bucate :
manuscris din epoca brâncoveneasca /
 Constantinescu, Ioana. ; Cazacu, Matei.
 Bucuresti : Ed. Fundatiei Culturale Române,
 1997 200 p. ; p., Language: Romanian;
 Contents page also in English.
Standard No: ISBN: 9735770903
Descriptor: Cookery -- Romania -- History -- 17th century.

That is in fact what he used. There's a note on another website
that reads:

The manuscript, originally written in Slavonic script, was translated to
the modern roman alphabet by Ioana Constantinescu and published in a book
called "O lume intr-o carte de bucate: Manuscris din epoca brancoveneasca"
by the Romanian Cultural Foundation Editions (ISBN 9735770903). Go to http://www.florilegium.org/,
click on Food - Manuscripts, Then on Romanian Cookbook.

Later I came across this article:

"Romania: Cooking, Literature and Politics.
A cookbook from Moldova, 1841" by Henry Notaker.
in PPC 35 1990 pp. 7-22.

Notaker relates a history of cookbooks in Romania
that may prove helpful. The earliest was a translation
dated 1846, followed by another in 1865 titled in English
as Romanian Cookery. This Moldavian work came earlier
than those two works and was published in Iasi or Jassy,
the capital of Moldova.

I still think that article proves useful as it relates how cookbooks
came to be published or not published
in that part of the world.

Johnnae