[Sca-cooks] Another pottery update

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed May 14 15:27:37 PDT 2008

terry l. ridder wrote:
>hello;
>
>so many questions i have.
>
>what are you using for a kiln? did you build your
>own? would be willing to share you kiln-building
>experience?
>
>are you taking pottery classes through a pottery
>shop, park district, community college, or private?
>where are you learning about the glazes to use for
>the colors you want.

I am learning from Lady Gemma, the head of the Calafia Pottery Guild.
Right now, we are using her equipment at her home though I am
planning to purchase a wheel of my own and possibly a kiln of my own
when I get my employment situation sorted out (long story nobody
wants to hear about corporate acquisitions and broken promises...)

We use a Brent electric wheel similar to the one shown at the top of
the page here:

http://store.ceramicstoreinc.com/brpowh.html

I'm also refurbishing an old electric wheel we had donated to us and
we have a manual kick wheel too (which I can't use because my knee
hits it when I try to kick it).

The kiln we use is a commercial electric kiln similar to this one
(but not quite as fancy as Gemma's is an older model):

http://www.hotkilns.com/easy-fire-e18S-3.html

Most of the glazes we are using right now are commercial pre-mixed
glazes from a company called Laguna. Most of the clay we are using is
also from Laguna.

http://www.lagunaclay.com/

We did make up one glaze to a formula provided by Master Hroar who is
a Laurel in pottery here in Caid (the glaze used on the chafing dish
and one of the pitchers). He has several reference works he has
recommended to me regarding glaze formulations which I need to go out
and purchase at some point, remind me and I will post that
bibliography. Right now, I am very much a novice in that area and
have a lot more to learn. I look forward to learning more and sharing more.

Dragon