[Sca-cooks] First cooking on my own pottery was successful

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Wed May 14 23:45:09 PDT 2008

So I decided to literally put my pot and skillet that I made to the
test this evening. Because after all the intent of the project is to
cook with it.

In some discussions with the folks at Free Form Clay here in San
Diego, they had recommended using a clay with a lot of sand or "grog"
in it to provide some more porosity in the clay. The clay I had used
has some but it is fairly fine grained so I did decide to take it
slow to begin with.

I baked some pork shoulder in the skillet in my convection oven for
about an hour at 325F, that was fine and the skillet cleaned up
perfectly after using it. No cracks, everything looks great. I
figured that was a good first test as it is relatively gentle heat.

Right now I have the pot bubbling away with a batch of freekeh (green
wheat) and mushrooms over a direct, medium-low flame on the stove. No
problems there either.

I'm pretty confident now about using them over charcoal for sure and
medium to low direct flame. I do intend to see just what they can
take over time but I am starting slowly to give them a chance to
relieve any internal stress over several thermal cycles. Granted,
they were fired to cone 5 which is about 1500F, but that doesn't mean
they are immune to thermal shock.

I'm quite pleased so far and look forward to figuring out just how I
can use them over time. I'm also planning to use a different clay
soon to make more items that has a much higher proportion of sand in
it to see if it might be more durable. I'll be making a couple of
test pieces I can heat to destruction to see just what they might be
able to take.

Dragon