[Sca-cooks] Recipe for OK, this is weird ...

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon May 19 21:20:59 PDT 2008

Johnna Holloway did speak thusly:
>I just googled onion calzones from puglia
>and found this
>http://www.deliciousitaly.com/ricetta.php?id=154&regione_id=12
>
>Onion Calzone
>
>A well made calzone is a meal in itself and
>comes as close to a Cornish pastie as we have found in Italy.
>
>ingredients
>
>For the pasta: 500 gr flour, 50 gr sugar, 100 gr
>extra virgin olive oil, 150 gr white wine, 1
>spoon of fine salt. For the filling: 500gr
>onions or leeks, black olives, sultanas, cherry jam.
>
>making it
>
>Mix all the pasta ingredients together and work
>well until a decent dough has been formed.
>
>Divide the dough into two parts and with one
>half form a classic calzone shape onto which the filling should be placed.
>
>The onions or leeks for the filling should first
>be lightly fried in olive oil and salt.
>
>To them 50gr sugar should be added as well as
>the olives (without the stones), the sultanas
>(softened up with warm water) and a spoonful of jam pasted over the onions.
>
>Then close the calzone with the other half of
>the pasta or pastry and seal the edges with egg yolk beaten with sugar.
>
>Cook in the oven at 180° for around 25/30 minutes.

Interesting, it seems that it would be a lot
sweeter than I had thought. While probably not
dessert sweet, it is definitely not exactly a savory item either.

I also find it interesting that it says to
lightly fry the onions, I would cook them
considerably longer over low heat to caramelize
them. Though if you use leeks, you definitely do
not want to do that as they get bitter when they
brown instead of sweet like an onion.

Other than those two things, it sounds almost as I had envisioned it.

Dragon