[Sca-cooks] Sign of the Times perhaps --Dinner at Crown - cancelled

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri May 23 02:24:09 PDT 2008

Part of the trouble of course is that the dates for Midrealm Spring
Crown/Kingdom A&S finals are inflexible.
It's now Memorial Day weekend, with a site needed for both Saturday and
Sunday
and the feast is now Sunday night. So you need something like a
conference center or
fair grounds, huge cooperative school, or a huge hotel just as Avelyn
has already mentioned.
You can't bid a weekend earlier in May or a weekend in June to save money.

If you rent another hall and do the feast in another place, you still
have deal with having people
make their way across town. (But it's been done in the past and the
Crown feast that I did in Starleaf Gate
was in fact in a hall across town. I never saw the day event site so I
can't say what it was like.)
We've also used some university sites in the past and cooked the feast
in a church hall.
(The first major Crown that I baked for was in May 1974. It was done on the
University of Illinois campus on the last day of finals. Fighting was
held in the stock pavilion
with the feast in the McKinley foundation's great hall. They did a
double elimination list
with something like 50-60 fighters that day too.This was not Memorial
Day weekend.)
This was of course before A&S was attached to the event. That requires
the equivalent of another
event and another day added to an already major event.

Both Coronation and Crown ended up
being in Kentucky this year and that might have dampened the enthusiasm
of heading
to both in the same state and again as I stated earlier the high
gasoline prices may be
dampening the travels of some. Site fees were also an additional
$10 for adults for the two days; $8 for 13-17; $5 for 6-12.
Rooms ran $79-$89 per night.

I mis-spoke about gas being a high of $4.09 here in town. It was
actually already
$4.35 last evening at the two stations near the interstate.

Johnnae