[Sca-cooks] measurement

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 25 07:43:48 PDT 2008

> IIRC the US military has been metric for years, i.e NATO standard.  Be
> that
> as it may in my scientific publications with the Florida Geological Survey
> we show both "English" and Metric mearurements in the text and include the
> conversion table used.   Interestingly those publications have been on
> disk, either CD or DVD, rather than hard copy.
>
> Daniel

It has been lawful to use metric measures in all forms of commerce within
the U.S. since 1866, when Congress adopted the standard, and the U.S. is one
of the original signatories to the Convention of the Meter in 1875.

As part of an effort to standardize weaponry between allied nations, the U.S
military began using the metric system beginning with the M-14 in 1957 (the
International Geophysical Year).  You'll find many of the dual use
conventions date to the IGY, although the Florida Geological Survey may have
adopted the standard from the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, the original
agency to adopt the metric system in 1866.  Metrication of the U.S. has
occurred primarily in education, scientific research, military and
manufacturing; those fields in the U.S. which are the most global in scope.

The essential problem in going completely metric is the Constitution
reserves the right to establish standard weights and measures to the
Congress, but the enforcement of those standards is done at the State level.
The Congress passed legislation to take the U.S. metric, but the measure
called for voluntary compliance and had no set deadlines (avoiding the issue
of funding the mandate).  The effort died on the vine and was buried by
Reagan.  Without an Act of Congress, mandating a change to the metric system
with specific dates for the change and penalties for non-compliance, we
aren't going totally metric any time soon.

Bear