[Sca-cooks] Sign of the Times perhaps --Dinner at Crown - cancelled

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 14:17:23 PDT 2008

I have to say that even if it wasn't SCA, i wouldn't pay 25
smackeronis for that meal. Sheesh, i can get a fabulous gourmet meal
for that amount here in the SF Bay area.

As for having the food cooked by non-SCAdians: When events are held
in hotels, if we want to hold a feast, we are compelled to have the
hotel kitchen cook the food. This hasn't happened here in The West,
as far as i know - we don't serve food at our only hotel event,
Twelfth Night, it BYO.

But i did attend a weekend-long SCA costume symposium some years back
in a hotel in Denver. The staff at least tried to use some Medieval
recipes. However they couldn't help but arrange and decorated the
plates in a very modern way - it was, after all, how they'd been
trained. And the food was... ok... but lacked a little something.

Here in the central West, the cost of events has been going up
because the price of the halls and sites. Also, for our camping
events we have to rent a certain number of porta-potties and a
dumpster, so there are many items that can get more expensive.

And because some events are money losers, other events have to make a
little to cover them.

Camping events are now around $10 for adult SCA members for a weekend.
Site fee for a one-day indoor event can be cheaper.

The price for a feast can vary, but $15 is getting to be the norm
(that is separate from the site fee). However, our feasts, in my
experience, are usually bounteous and delicious. Two dishes plus rice
at a Thai restaurant can cost $15, so to me $15 is not a bad price
for a three course Medieval feast with 4 to 6 dishes per course.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing