[Sca-cooks] measurement

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 26 21:13:11 PDT 2008

>S CLEMENGER wrote:
>
>>So? Just because you survived being inconvenienced, doesn't mean I should
>>throw myself into sharing the experience with you....
>
> I'm not saying you should.  I'm just saying that it's possible without
> anything resembling a "holy hash".
>
> (I'm not sure exactly how it _would_ inconvenience an individual
> landowner, actually...)
>
> --
> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

While it might not inconvenience the individual land owner it would add
another layer of complexity to an already complex system.

Portions of the United States have been owned by the Dutch, the English, the
French and the Spanish, each with their own system of measurement, surveying
and recording.  The property rights of each of these claimants have been
respected, ignored, abused, and incorporated into the U.S. legal system of
ownership more or less accurately.  In a number of cases, there have been
ongoing legal disputes over ownership for 150 years, particularly in the
case of the Spanish land grants in the Southwest and bad surveys (like those
done by Bat Masterson around Sweetwater, Texas).

Add to this the fact that the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey which is
responsible for establishing and maintaining the baseline markers for all
surveys in the U.S. has been using a foot pegged at 1200/3937 meters since
1866.  The current international foot is 30.48 centimeters and is .999998 of
a survey foot.  Given the level of detail in a legal description and the
potential for rounding errors, converting the measurements of the property
might require a resurvey of the property to insure the metes and bounds are
accurately described.

Bear