[Sca-cooks] San Diego, here I come ...

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 09:10:13 PDT 2008

>Hmm. I think she means the Brazilian churrascuria place, Rei Do Gado.
>
>http://www.yelp.com/biz/rei-do-gado-churrascaria-san-diego#hrid:f9xBz-iHASCAfPkInxtiHQ/query:REI%20DO%20Gado%20Restaurant
>
>It is truly an overwhelming place to eat.  Very. Overwhelming.
>
>Christiane, what kinds of food do you prefer? We have just about anything
>your li'l ol' heart could possibly desire here.
>
>Regards,
>Maggie

Things I won't eat:
Oysters or clams on the half shell
Eel sushi
Strongly flavored, oily fish, especially those cooked with head and skin on (but a good salmon filet is nice)
Seaweed salad (got sick on a poorly made batch once)
Stuff that is so hot my head falls off leaving a scorched stump
Insects (true insects, I don't count land snails in this area)
Eyeballs

Things I will eat and like:
Meats, including "parts" like liver and tripe
Vegetables (haven't really met one that I dislike)
Cheeses
Seafood (especially shellfish, cooked)
Various starches (rice, beans, potatoes, noodles of all sorts)
Moderately spicy foods
Chocolate-based desserts, but I also enjoy fruit-based desserts as well as sweet Middle Eastern pastries
Ice cream

Cuisines I particularly enjoy, in no particular order:
Mexican
Tex-Mex
Brazilian
Turkish
Thai
Chinese
Japanese
Good ol' American barbecue
Cajun or Creole
Italian
Indian
French

See, I am not too picky. :-)

As a member of the media, I've been invited to a few receptions (I am attending a Wednesday night one being thrown by Amgen, which will have cocktails and hors d'oeuvres) but I am trying to keep away from having any corporate entity "treat" me to any meals. I would like some restaurant recommendations in case I do take out a favored source for dinner. But after walking the convention floor and having some scheduled sitdowns, I think in the evenings I will just want to be by myself. I am not going to have a car with me, but I notice that there is a trolley line that runs from the convention center into downtown, which will be a help!

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Christiane