[Sca-cooks] Best types of dried fish

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu May 29 13:47:30 PDT 2008

>>> Salt cod and stockfish are both rather bland when they are
>>> reconstituted. But... there are ways to make them quite delicious
>>> with the right things added.
>>>
>>> Dragon
>>
>> Me:  There are very few things that cannot be improved by the
>> addition of bacon or garlic.
> ----------------
> Dragon:
> This is true for many of us, but not all. Personally, I agree, but
> there are people who for reasons of faith do not agree (yes, even
> about garlic).
Including the one I was born into, in the case of bacon.

> There is a particular dish of salt cod in olive oil made in Portugal
> that is incredibly good. I don't recall the name of it but the
> softened cod is seasoned and then placed in olive oil, the cod is then
> swirled around gently (NOT mixed with a spoon) for a long time until
> the oil and the fish start to come together in a thick sauce of sorts.
> It is delicious with a good crusty bread.
Hmmm, most Bacalhau dishes of Portugal and Brasil include potatoes,
peppers and/or tomatoes these days, that will be a tough one to track
down.  But I have some sources at home, my aunt was involved with
Portugal's travel publicity for many years and I inherited some
interesting cook books.  None of them pre-1600, alas, but they still may
have some citations we can use.

I keep contemplating a "fish feast" for Lent, some year.  Interested?

Selene