[Sca-cooks] Best types of dried fish

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu May 29 19:16:07 PDT 2008

Susan Fox did speak thusly:

>>----------------
>>Dragon:
>>
>>There is a particular dish of salt cod in olive oil made in
>>Portugal that is incredibly good. I don't recall the name of it but
>>the softened cod is seasoned and then placed in olive oil, the cod
>>is then swirled around gently (NOT mixed with a spoon) for a long
>>time until the oil and the fish start to come together in a thick
>>sauce of sorts. It is delicious with a good crusty bread.
>Hmmm, most Bacalhau dishes of Portugal and Brasil include potatoes,
>peppers and/or tomatoes these days, that will be a tough one to
>track down.  But I have some sources at home, my aunt was involved
>with Portugal's travel publicity for many years and I inherited some
>interesting cook books.  None of them pre-1600, alas, but they still
>may have some citations we can use.

Ironically, I know about it from one of Anthony Bourdain's shows. I
believe it was in the "A Cook's Tour" series but I am not sure. It
looks intriguing. I don't recall what else went into it but he (and
his host) made a very big deal that it be swirled in the dish and not mixed.

>I keep contemplating a "fish feast" for Lent, some year.  Interested?

I'm interested, what exactly do you have in mind and would this be
for an event or maybe an event in itself?

Hmm... that gave me an idea... what about doing a feast solely for
the purpose of doing a feast? Why does it necessarily have to be tied
to another event?

Dragon