[Sca-cooks] Ricotta non mascarpone (was RE: NOTT feast report(VERY long) (was fish))

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu May 1 07:50:59 PDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> I am curious why everyone is saying:
>
> "You can make ricotta using whey from cheesemaking for non-acid
> coagulated
> cheeses but not from cheese that use lemon juice or vinegar as the
> coaggulant"
>
> The lactochemistry lesson stopped short of answering that question :o(
>
> niccolo difrancesco

One hypothesis to check, perhaps, and I haven't, is whether proteins
respond differently to different pH's under high heat as they do to
different enzymes. In short, enzymes are proteins that are basically
denatured when boiled - this is how blanching vegetables works to keep
them green. Acids and bases remain, more or less regardless of
predictable kitchen temperatures.

So, for example, when you make a strong ale by boiling your wort well
past the protein rest stage to re-dissolve those proteins you'd
normally want to settle out, it's not diastase or amylase that are
doing this: they're dead and gone; it's the heat. It may be that the
acids that will denature proteins under some temperatures won't work
in the same way under other, higher temperatures.

If that makes any sense.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter